Do you feel like Instagram has been blocking your blessings with this new algorithm? Girl, you’re not the only one! It was a lot easier to get your posts out there a couple of years ago compared to today. Now, if your post isn’t considered as interesting or popular, hardly anyone sees it!
Social media outlets are trying to monetise their platforms, so they want more people to pay to boost their posts. It’s just business, I suppose…
But we don’t give a flying duck about that. All we want is for people to see our posts. Is that too much to ask for? So how can you outsmart this new insta algorithm, I hear you say? Girl, don’t worry. I’ve got your back. Let’s dive straight into it.
Engagement is KING!
You gotta have high engagement! Instagram loves it when people engage with your content via comments and saved posts. It’s not about likes anymore, so wipe your tears if you were ever upset about receiving less likes than you’re used to. So how do you get more people to comment on your posts? Let’s start with the basics…
- Start by posting a nice picture that will make people want to comment
- Ask questions in your caption. This way, you’re actually giving people a reason to drop a comment under your post
- Just so you know… Leaving a comment with just emojis isn’t enough. Dropping a love struck emoji under a picture isn’t going to do the trick. This will be seen as SPAM
- You gotta drop more than four words for your comment to be considered as engagement within the first 10 minutes of when the picture was posted
- Get your friends and family to help you boost your posts and ask them to drop a comment in the first 10 minutes so your posts can be considered as popular by the algorithm and maybe even reach the Explore page
- Getting comments from accounts with a large following can help boost the popularity of your post. So it might be worth asking a friend with a large following to drop a comment under your new post
- Don’t be afraid to tag accounts. So if you’re a model, tag some big model agency accounts. Your post can appear on their tag tab so people who look through the tab can stumble upon your post. Who knows, the tagged account might even give you a follow and like your posts
The Battle of The Hashtags
We all love a good hashtag. It helps get your posts out there to a bigger audience. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but hash-tagging has also been affected by the algorithm. So you gotta be smart with the way you do it. Here are a couple of ways hash-tagging can help boost your post:
- Put the hashtags in your caption and NOT in your comments! You can ONLY find the picture if the hashtag is in the caption. You won’t be able to find a post when searching a hashtag that has been mentioned in the comment section.
- Go easy on the hashtags, baby girl. Don’t overdo it. 30 hashtags is too much! Up to 17 hashtags is more than enough
- Make your hashtags more specific. For example, using hashtags like #blogger is too broad. Using hashtags like #lifestyleblogger and #fashionblogger is better as people who are specifically looking for these things can find you straight away
I know, it sounds like a lot of things need to be done to boost your posts. But don’t panic. Just take a deep breath and give these things a try the next time you post something on Instagram. I mean, what’s the worst thing that could happen?
Don’t expect to see results overnight. You gotta do this for a while to see the results. I’ve been giving it a try myself and some of these tips have definitely helped get my content on the Explore page. Hope this helps you, too!
Sugars and love,